Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Broken rib? (Read 1003 times)
nightowl
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Broken rib?
05/09/21 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Lost talent at WWC a week ago, and was able to ride out even with some discomfort. I think the handlebar may have hit me in the rib. Either way , that portion of my side still has discomfort. I wasn't really worried about it too much until I tried laying on the floor (a week later) and stretching my arms out like a cross and heard/felt a pop. I'd try it again...but don't want to. Ha.

I know there's not much you can do for rib injuries, and it takes about 4-6 weeks to heal.

Have doctor recommendations? Or just urgent care to confirm?

« Last Edit: 05/09/21 at 5:43pm by nightowl »  

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Re: Broken rib?
Reply #1 - 05/09/21 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
SIUBC.  Give it 2-3 weeks before throwing down cash at the doc - unless you have stabbing pain or shortness of breath, in which case go in now.

« Last Edit: 05/09/21 at 7:34pm by Robert C. »  

IP Logged

nightowl
Coaster Bike

Reply #2 - 05/09/21 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Wouldn't call it stabbing pain and I can take deep breaths. I could have shortness of breath but pollen, so dunno. Getting out of the car can be troublesome, but doable.  The injury feels "familiar..."  and i am assuming it'll just take time. (famous last words)

Beer totally fixes it.   Grin but don't make me laugh, cough, or sneeze please.
« Last Edit: 05/09/21 at 8:36pm by nightowl »  

IP Logged

Metalmok
Coaster Bike

I would rather ride than
work

Reply #3 - 05/10/21 at 7:15am
Print Post  
I have had this happen 3x. The first 2, I got pneumonia because of not breathing deeply enough. Watch out for that. Breath deep as often as you can. I have an incentive spirometer for just this purpose now. I slept sitting up on the couch for about 1.5 weeks one time because it hurt too much to lay down. 

Oh, and don't go to the chiropractor either. I was about 90% healed when he re-cracked my rib, I scared all of the other patients screaming...

Please consider the environment before you...

...play your Bluetooth speaker in the woods.

IP Logged

Scott77

Reply #4 - 05/10/21 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Sleeping in recliner would have made a world of difference if I knew about it when I hurt mine. 
If you feel a grind/crunch when you breath, need to see Ortho.  If you have a "step" or uneven place in the rib, may need to see them as well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print