Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Airline Bike Park Opening (Read 2819 times)
Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Airline Bike Park Opening
08/11/21 at 2:54am
Print Post  
We are going to start opening the Airline Bike Park this weekend 8/14. 8101 Dixie River Rd 

Things to note:

-It won't be open everyday because we will have to manage the opening and closing with only volunteers ( no rangers or electronic gates to help) We will try to keep it open on the weekends and will try to get it open during the week as much as we can, weather permitting. Check this site for additional days and open/closed. Gates open at dawn and close at 7:30 PM 

-Dont expect many amenities for now. No water, restrooms, changing stations. Show up ready to ride or be prepared to get ready in your vehicle

-A large portion of the trails will change direction daily. The trails that rotate direction are marked as Odd and Even. This means on Odd days of the month (August 1,3,15...) follow the Odd direction. On Even days ( 2,6,10...) you follow Even. Saturday will be Even Day, Sunday an Odd day, I have faith in you

- Your chances of running into ATV riders is fairly High.  They are not supposed to be on the property, but they have had free rein for years.  I don't recommend confrontation, just be aware.

-The "Gravity Terminal" section has one main jumpline (Airline Trail) and a few other gnarly descents.  They are all Black rated.  If you check it out and feel like it might be a little above your skill level, then it is. Please don't risk it!  Ride within your abilities 
We are planning to build a Blue and then a Green line very soon. 

-Parking will be at a premium. The parking loop will hold about 25 cars if vehicles park efficiently. If a spot is wide enough to squeeze 2 vehicles, please be respectful and don't park right in the middle. If your planning to meet freinds maybe park at the elementary school or the outlet mall and carpool over. Most Importantly DO NOT BLOCK THE FIRE ROAD ACCESS.  This road is needed by EMS to access the property. Dont put yourselves or others in Danger by blocking the "Concourse" Road.

We look forward to seeing everyone enjoying the trails.  This is only the start. Much more to build and improve on.  Trails have been added to Trailforks and some small laminated maps have been placed strategically around the trails. Have fun and stay safe.

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

fattirz
Little Ring
In The Loop

I'm not fat... I'm BIG
BONED!!!

Re: Airline Bike Park Opening
Reply #1 - 08/11/21 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
One other thing to mention about parking.  PLEASE Do NOT park anywhere along Dixie River Road!!!  Visibility is less than ideal entering and exiting the park and additional vehicles parked along the road only make it more difficult.

Every ride is a good ride... some are just better than others!
YIM  
IP Logged

Metalmok
Coaster Bike

I would rather ride than
work

Reply #2 - 08/14/21 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Had a blast riding Airpark today. I got lost a couple of times but Tom straightened me out. Shoutout to Tom and everyone else who has been building there for about 5 years!

The Blue Autopilot/Copilot trail was really fun and I look forward to riding it on an odd day the opposite direction. It is a credit card type of trail where you get your downhill reward up front then, pay the bills on the way back up later.

The Gravity Zone was super fun even if it was over my skillset. It gets bigger the farther down you go. FYI, there is a ride-around to the right of the road gap if you don't want to hit that on your first lap. Everything is rollable, except the road gap.

The parking lot was cramped but pretty well done since it used to be a trail that they just turned into a parking lot. It was not full at all while I was there 7:30-10:00.

Overall, I would say the trails really need to be ridden to get them in shape but other than that it is a really fun addition to our local Charlotte trails.

Please consider the environment before you...

...play your Bluetooth speaker in the woods.

IP Logged

fattirz
Little Ring
In The Loop

I'm not fat... I'm BIG
BONED!!!

Reply #3 - 08/14/21 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Airline Bike Park will be closed tomorrow morning (Sunday, August 15).  If we don’t get any more rain it the morning, we will re-evaluate and see if an afternoon opening is possible?

Stay tuned and check the trail status page before you head out to ride.  -Brian
« Last Edit: 08/14/21 at 10:37pm by fattirz »  

YIM  
IP Logged

fattirz
Little Ring
In The Loop

I'm not fat... I'm BIG
BONED!!!

Reply #4 - 08/15/21 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Sunday, August 15, as of noon we are open.  Trail is a little slick in a few places but not muddy.  Have fun before the afternoon showers roll in.  Gate will be closing at 7:30.

YIM  
IP Logged

worker-rider
In The Loop

Reply #5 - 08/15/21 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Saw some of your flags the other day Brian. Thanks to all the others in this endeavor. Started with Jack and Barry many years ago. Nice piece of property! With lots of elevation and with the right funding/grants could turn into something great! Thread trail rolling through will be nice touch.

IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Reply #6 - 08/19/21 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Opening today 8/19 so use the Odd day direction.  Putting the TRAIL STATUS TO CAUTION ⚠️  which can be interpreted as the single track is O9pen the Gravity Terminal and jump trail is Closed.  We will use this trail status to convey this from now on for Airline Bike Park.

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

P-Schwartz

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #7 - 08/19/21 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
The meaning of the caution needs to be made more public. Not everyone is on these forums.

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Reply #8 - 08/19/21 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
P-Schwartz wrote on 08/19/21 at 1:39pm:
The meaning of the caution needs to be made more public. Not everyone is on these forums.

Yea, caution is tough.  Hover over the caution symbol with your mouse and let me know what it says.  That's the best we can do right now.

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

P-Schwartz

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #9 - 08/19/21 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Hmm I'm usually on mobile when I check the site. Could caution be changed to mean check trail page, then on the detailed page have a note regarding the sections that are open/closed?

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #10 - 09/30/21 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Any eta on an automated gate, or perhaps leaving gates open more frequently mid-week?

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Reply #11 - 09/30/21 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Robert C. wrote on 09/30/21 at 9:18am:
Any eta on an automated gate, or perhaps leaving gates open more frequently mid-week?

No update on that front.  The team has been head down trying to get the new jump trail finished up.  Which is looking amazing btw!

The gate item is certainly on the radar and if there is any news we will post about it.

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #12 - 09/30/21 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Yeah, new in progress jump line looked pretty awesome 2 weeks ago.

Nice work!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print