Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Mountain Creek Park? (Read 3685 times)
Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Mountain Creek Park?
04/18/22 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Can't seem to find my h current info.  Anyone know if this is a thing?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ncpappy
Coaster Bike

Re: Mountain Creek Park?
Reply #1 - 04/19/22 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Maybe you were looking for this link: 

that's the county's website with links to the park master plan and trail plan, which still says opening early 2022. 

Per the Mountain Creek Park Facebook page, 'early 2022' is now apparently a June 18th opening for phase I, which includes the trail system built by Elevated Trail Design.

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #2 - 04/20/22 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Yep, that was the link I intended to include.  Missed the June reference though

IP Logged

flyninjasquirrel

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #3 - 05/17/22 at 11:39am
Print Post  

Planning to shred first thing opening day!

IP Logged

ncpappy
Coaster Bike

Reply #4 - 06/29/22 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Seeing that this trail and some others that have been added to the main page now have a note stating, 

"**Trails unaffiliated with the Tarheel Trailblazers. This page is for information purposes only**"

who's updating the status when these trails are too wet to ride?  Is there anywhere online where Catawba County updates the status of the system?

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Reply #5 - 06/29/22 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
ncpappy wrote on 06/29/22 at 1:48pm:
Seeing that this trail and some others that have been added to the main page now have a note stating, 

"**Trails unaffiliated with the Tarheel Trailblazers. This page is for information purposes only**"

who's updating the status when these trails are too wet to ride?  Is there anywhere online where Catawba County updates the status of the system?

Catawba Parks and rec is using our site to Display their trail status.  So someone from the park has access to the backend of this site to change the open closed status as it is in the field.   

That disclaimer is more to clarify that THTB does not have an MOU for maintenance.  So it's not a "THTB" trail persay but this site is used by so many for trail status that Catawba County wanted to have mtn creek on our status list.

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

Shredder
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 06/29/22 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
TrillWill wrote on 06/29/22 at 2:03pm:

Catawba Parks and rec is using our site to Display their trail status.  So someone from the park has access to the backend of this site to change the open closed status as it is in the field.  

That disclaimer is more to clarify that THTB does not have an MOU for maintenance.  So it's not a "THTB" trail persay but this site is used by so many for trail status that Catawba County wanted to have mtn creek on our status list.

Interesting. I inquired about why Salisbury wasn't on our list and was told it's because it's not a THTB trail so it can't be added. In talking with and working on the trails up there with the powers that be I know they'd love to have some kind of relationship with the THTB.
« Last Edit: 06/29/22 at 3:39pm by Shredder »  

IP Logged

ncpappy
Coaster Bike

Reply #7 - 06/30/22 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Thanks for the background trillwill, glad to know that the TTB website is accurate for Mountain Creek. 

Yeah, as one of the key folks in Salisbury, we'd be interested in learning about what might be involved with getting the trail system listed on the main page.  However, for anyone interested, Salisbury's trail status is updated daily via facebook at our SCPMTB page: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 06/30/22 at 10:21am by ncpappy »  

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

LKN TC

Reply #8 - 07/11/22 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
It's a good question worth asking re:  Hosting Sailsbury trail status.  There was a time when only THTB managed trails were on the status bar but now there are 4 non-THTB managed trails there which fall in the general THTB region.  USNWC, Poston, Mtn Creek, and Anne Springs.

IP Logged

JoeT
Small Cog

Reply #9 - 07/11/22 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
How are the trails? Anybody ride them yet? Mileage?
Thanks!

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #10 - 07/11/22 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Fantastic.  Fast, flowy and not overly technical.  Very well built.  Stated mileage is 19 I believe.

It's a little challenging stringing trails together as they are numbered on the trail map and named at the trail heads and connection point.  Nothing Strava can't fix.

Well worth the drive.

IP Logged

JT3
Coaster Bike

Reply #11 - 07/18/22 at 7:21am
Print Post  
They need to work on the signage.   there seems to be so much confusion on how to get around..and back out… every sign board I passed yesterday had a confused group asking questions.

peddle faster, I heard banjo music!

IP Logged

Trail Junky
Small Cog

Reply #12 - 07/18/22 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
The apparent need to string together sections in order to build a route is why I have thus far shied away.  It would be nice if some predetermined routes were chosen with these assigned a color.  Signage could then be placed at intersections and, even better, prior so that riders would know that the Orange and Purple routes go to the left and the Red route goes straight.  Yellow would be a right turn or whatever.  This would make for a better experience and require less orienteering and map reading.

Landfill Mining Co.
Managing the (Un)natural Resources of Tomorrow

IP Logged

Kurt Speed
Coaster Bike

Speed makes all trails
technical.

Reply #13 - 07/20/22 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
There are trails on the north and south side of the lake inlet separated by a large bridge. Loblolly Loop is the best of the south trails and can be accessed using trails 2 thru 7 which are basically fun ‘feeder trails’ that get you to the action.  If you park at the pump track, the fastest way to get to the bridge dividing the north & south trails is to take Terrells Folly (5) to Oh Deer (6) to Sherrills Pass (3) to Loblolly Loop (8).  Yes, you have to ride 4 mi. To get to the North side trails. Note: Jug Town Jump (11) is a short-cut if you are in a hurry to get to the bridge.

The North trails were built in a “Loop Over Loop” design. Picture your front wheel with a  hub connected to the outer wheel via spokes. 
From the big bridge, take Wampus Way (13) up the hill to the central hub (also called Wampus Way). Once on the central hub you can drop down Haymaker (14) and cut left to take Wampus Way back to the top. Note: there are twelve spokes/trails connecting the central hub to the outer wheel; 8 go down and 4 take you back up.

The outer wheel is called Mountain Creek Loop (12).
Trails dropping down from the Wampus Way upper hub to the outer Mt. Creek Loop are:
Haymaker (14)
Old Boozy (15) *omni-directional but a bit too dangerous to climb facing those flying down
Hot Hole (17)
Baked Possum (18)
Rabbit Race (19)
Miners Run (22)
Shiners Stash (23)
Puddle Jump (24)

Trails returning to the upper Wampus Way central hub are:
Wampus Way (13)
Ladderback (16)
Cable Ferry (21) *connects you to Iron Lung back to the top
Iron Lung (20)

Hint: if you take Miners Run (22) to Mt. Creek Loop just shoot back to Iron Lung to the top (but you didn’t hear me say that!)

Bottom Line:  The Mountain Creek Park trails are awesome…you’re gonna love’em!

The one from whom I needed to be saved... is the very one who saved me.  That's Amazing Grace!

IP Logged

Kurt Speed
Coaster Bike

Speed makes all trails
technical.

Reply #14 - 07/20/22 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
The quickest way back to the parking lot at the pump track from the big bridge:
Loblolly Loop (8)
Sherrills Pass (3)
Milk & Honey (7)
Aww Shucks (4)
Terrells Folly (5)

Wouldn’t it be great if there was a single trail that took you straight to the big bridge from the parking lot?  Just sayn’

The one from whom I needed to be saved... is the very one who saved me.  That's Amazing Grace!

IP Logged

.5aB

Must, ipso facto, half
not be.

Reply #15 - 07/23/22 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
There are paper maps at the trail heads that are helpful to have the first time on the trail. There are billboard sized trail maps at several of the major intersections, but there are other points you will want the paper map. There is also a QR code to download a georefereced map to the Avenza maps app if you have it. Many trails are directional so look for the small blue arrows for bike direction (orange are for hikers).

Trail mileage says 19, but you can’t ride all the trail segments without riding some segments multiple times, so you would end up with quite a bit more.. You can also choose to ride as few segments as you want if you are looking for a shorter ride.

You will be confused the first time out, but once you have ridden it once  it is pretty easy to navigate.

IP Logged

tinkledock

Reply #16 - 07/26/22 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I recently rode out there. The trails all seem to be very smooth and groomed. I don't think I ran into any natural roots or rocks. It was all very/too easy, although it was nice getting in some easy miles in the extreme heat.

I was also fairly confused on the signage and how to actually navigate the trails there. They clearly spent a lot of time and money on excellent signage, and there are is a lot of it too. I feel the execution of labeling the trails with numbers on the billboards and then only having trail names (without any numbers) on the individual trail signs is leading to some of the confusion. Every time I passed one of the big billboard signs there were at least 2 more people waiting there trying to figure out where to go. I'm sure you can easily figure out the trails and how they connect after riding there a few times, but it is somewhat off putting for the first time riding there.

I'll also note that it would be nice if there was some sort of water filling station at the bathroom building next to the pump track. I may have missed it, but it would have been nice to be able to refill a water bottle especially since it was so hot outside.

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

LKN TC

Reply #17 - 08/24/22 at 11:02am
Print Post  
So I did my fourth ride out here yesterday.  There are so many trails and options (some trails you can ride both ways) that I'm just just getting a feel for the entire place.  I even rode down to the lowest point in the park on the paved greenway, which actually has a significant climb of about 120' on the asphalt trail from the lowest point back to parking area.

What I'm starting to takeaway is that the 6 mile Mountain Creek loop is the best part of the entire trail system and one of the best pound for pound trail loops in the area.  In my previous rides I had only done part of that loop as there are multiple options to branch off and head up to the "Hub" via Ol Boozy, Ladderback Cable Ferry, and Iron lung.  But when you string the entire loop together uninterrupted, it's a true gem! 

The downhill's milk out the descending and there is tons of speed available, The rolling sections can allow you to carry speed if you pedal hard, and there are some sustained uphills for getting your climbing in.  The highest elevation point on the Mtn creek loop is 900' and the lowest is 770', so plenty of elevation change to be had.  The highest point on Mtn Creek Loop is actually higher than the hub area. You loose all of that elevation over a 1 mile stretch that keeps your downhill speed high  Smiley.  Some sections are starting to get some nice texture where rocky soil is coming through too.

So if you've been out to mtn creek and ridden mainly the descending trails from the hub, give the full mtn creek loop a try.  You will be stoked you did!

IP Logged

Trail Junky
Small Cog

Reply #18 - 09/19/22 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Kurt Speed wrote on 07/20/22 at 3:24pm:
There are trails on the north and south side of the lake inlet separated by a large bridge. Loblolly Loop is the best of the south trails and can be accessed using trails 2 thru 7 which are basically fun ‘feeder trails’ that get you to the action.  If you park at the pump track, the fastest way to get to the bridge dividing the north & south trails is to take Terrells Folly (5) to Oh Deer (6) to Sherrills Pass (3) to Loblolly Loop (8).  Yes, you have to ride 4 mi. To get to the North side trails. Note: Jug Town Jump (11) is a short-cut if you are in a hurry to get to the bridge.

The North trails were built in a “Loop Over Loop” design. Picture your front wheel with a  hub connected to the outer wheel via spokes. 
From the big bridge, take Wampus Way (13) up the hill to the central hub (also called Wampus Way). Once on the central hub you can drop down Haymaker (14) and cut left to take Wampus Way back to the top. Note: there are twelve spokes/trails connecting the central hub to the outer wheel; 8 go down and 4 take you back up.

The outer wheel is called Mountain Creek Loop (12).
Trails dropping down from the Wampus Way upper hub to the outer Mt. Creek Loop are:
Haymaker (14)
Old Boozy (15) *omni-directional but a bit too dangerous to climb facing those flying down
Hot Hole (17)
Baked Possum (18)
Rabbit Race (19)
Miners Run (22)
Shiners Stash (23)
Puddle Jump (24)

Trails returning to the upper Wampus Way central hub are:
Wampus Way (13)
Ladderback (16)
Cable Ferry (21) *connects you to Iron Lung back to the top
Iron Lung (20)

Hint: if you take Miners Run (22) to Mt. Creek Loop just shoot back to Iron Lung to the top (but you didn’t hear me say that!)

Bottom Line:  The Mountain Creek Park trails are awesome…you’re gonna love’em!

Thank you for this guidance.  I went to Mountain Creek Park for the first time on Sunday, and this info did help.  While, like LNSP, it makes for a bit of a trek for me, the trip was worth it, and I will go back.  While the "stacked" trail configuration is more complex than what I prefer, the signage combined with a color paper map is enough.  Now, I did still find Wampus Way frustrating and would like the trail name signs to be florescent.  I blew past several without realizing this.  There probably should be signs located prior to some of the intersections alerting the rider to what is ahead.  The exit of Haymaker appears from the map to naturally transition to Mountain Creek Trail, and it does not unless one wants to ride Mountain Creek in reverse.  I rode most everything, and the stacked layout makes for a lot of repeat riding.  This is fine.  I think the location would make for some great night riding since there isn't anything technical out there.  The many wide bridges are a nice thing.

Landfill Mining Co.
Managing the (Un)natural Resources of Tomorrow

IP Logged

IdriveGT
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #19 - 11/05/22 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Anyone ride all sections of the trail in one ride? Wondering what kind of mileage you have gotten? My GPS tracker does not seem to work very good there.  I did everything on Friday, which as we know makes you repeat certain parts multiple times and I did the full mountain creak loop by itself because of a wrong turn. Was a great ride, rode for 2 hours and 45 minutes.

Remember.....Don't be Afraid of it!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print