Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Upgrade Thoughts? (Read 95 times)
mntbiknfool

Upgrade Thoughts?
03/16/24 at 11:05am
Print Post  
I could use some ideas for the feasibility of upgrading my old 29’er, and you guys sure know the state of the industry and market better than I do!

I purchased an XXL Asylum OCD 29er frame way back in 2007 and it has been my primary bike since. It is built like a tank and fits me perfectly. I replaced the drive train and repainted the frame once already. Now I am looking for better suspension as a minimum, and maybe a modern drive setup (single front sprocket vs triple 🙂). 

It has an old style 1.125” steering tube and whatever bottom bracket they used back in the day.  Same with the standard wheel hub of the day. It has a Rock Shock Reba air shock and a cheap Chinese copy of a Fox Float rear shock.  I need to keep my upgrade budget to <$1000, but would love to replace all suspension and the drivetrain if possible. Two questions:

- Will I be able to find parts that will fit the old girl? If so, where?
- How much upgrading is realistic given my budget?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
« Last Edit: 03/16/24 at 2:50pm by mntbiknfool »  

IP Logged

Metalmok
Coaster Bike

I would rather ride than
work

Re: Upgrade Thoughts?
Reply #1 - 03/21/24 at 8:05am
Print Post  
I hesitate to answer here but here goes. IMO-As someone that nursed my old bike along for years and then finally bought a new modern bike (2020) My suggestion would be to save your $1000 and try to squirrel away as much cash as you can and buy a new bike. $20 here and there can add up fast if you are consistent.

Almost all modern bikes are sooooooo good now.

Please consider the environment before you...

...play your Bluetooth speaker in the woods.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print