Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Crank issue (Read 1280 times)
jonathan creason
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Crank issue
05/27/13 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
During a ride on Friday I noticed my left crank had worked loose.  I didn't have any tools with me at the time, so I hopped off and pushed my bike out.  Today the crank came loose again and the bolt backed all the way out before I noticed.  I lost the bolt somewhere on the trail and never was able to find it.  After looking the crank over I noticed the sides had been wallowed out some, which I guess led to it working loose.  Can I assume the crank is pretty well fubar?  If so, anyone have a single speed crankset they would let go of cheap?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Re: Crank issue
Reply #1 - 05/27/13 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
I had a similar issue where the non-drive side crank arm stripped out on the spindle splines. It wasnt completely stripped so I lined it back up took a rubber mallet to it and got it back on, then torqued the pinch polts down to recommended specs. No problems 5 months later. I dont know what kind of cranks your running but make sure those pinch bolts are tight before and after each ride. If your running a square taper or some other configuartion the same applies. Before buying a whole new crankset see if you can find a new crank arm instead and just swap it out. If its a combo of bottom bracket and crank arm that are shot then get a new set. Hope that helps
« Last Edit: 05/27/13 at 7:52pm by Banjopickin »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

jonathan creason
Coaster Bike

Reply #2 - 05/27/13 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
I think it's just an issue with the left crank arm, so just replacing it may be the best bet.  Anyone know what the standard length on a monocog is?  175mm?  Also, would that come with a new retention bolt, or would I have to order that separate?

IP Logged

twinsdad
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/27/13 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
Maybe see if a shop has a pinch bolt before replacing the whole crank arm.....

IP Logged

lv2mtnbk
Big Ring

body built for downhill

Reply #4 - 05/28/13 at 12:58am
Print Post  
I had the same issue too. Use some non permanent Lock Tight on the bolt when re installing.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

IP Logged

jonathan creason
Coaster Bike

Reply #5 - 05/28/13 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Maybe see if a shop has a pinch bolt before replacing the whole crank arm.....

I thought about this, but I'm concerned the crank arm is too far gone to salvage.  I did tighten the bolt before my ride yesterday and it worked loose again on me, so I figure there's some play in there even when things are snugged down.

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #6 - 05/28/13 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
What type of cranks are you running. If its continually working loose it may be in the bottom bracket. Just a thought.

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

jonathan creason
Coaster Bike

Reply #7 - 05/28/13 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
They're TruVativ (made by SRAM, right?) 5D's.  I guess it potentially could be the bottom bracket (hope not).  My main reasoning for assuming it's just the crank arm is that I can see a couple of areas where metal has been moved inside the spindle interface.

IP Logged

jonathan creason
Coaster Bike

Reply #8 - 06/26/13 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Quick update.... I bought a new crank arm, and it worked loose on the first ride.  Looks like it may be a bottom bracket issue.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print