Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Fox Kashima coated Talas 36 seal question (Read 1152 times)
RobP
Big Ring

Fox Kashima coated Talas 36 seal question
06/11/13 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
So after riding wet muddy trails with race tape left up all over them this past weekend, it was pointed out to me that there was some crud on my Fox 36 Talas stanctions.  The good news is it wiped right off, but it was clearly something other than dirt.  My analysis leads me to believe that the seals or wipers had been crudded up and were wearing against the stanctions.  Therefore it is time to replace them.

My initial thought was the Enduro Seal kit for 2 reasons.
1)  I had always heard good things about them
2) They are blue and my carbon bike is accented with blue bits, so you know it would look cool.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

However I called my trusty LBS to ask if they had the ability and what it would cost me to do the seal swap.  During that conversation the mechanic who I think highly of, recommended staying away from the Enduro seals and just sticking with the Fox replacement kit.

The price difference of the kits is relatively nominal $1-5 difference.

So I was wondering what if any experience folks had here with Enduro vs the Fox kits?  If it makes a difference my 36 is Kashima coated.

Thanks in advance.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Fox Kashima coated Talas 36 seal question
Reply #1 - 06/11/13 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
I have heard that the enduro seals are too hard and can eat away at your stanchions. I've also heard that the new fox low friction seals are the best out there now. 

With regular service, I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. Just don't leave the enduros on there for over a year. 

Push doesn't use the enduros. Suspension Experts used them all the time until recently. I think even they went away from the Enduros.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

JeffKill
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 06/11/13 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
I've tried the Enduro seals on multiple forks and never did like them.  I'd stick with the Fox seals.

Without pain, I'd never know what comfort was.

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #3 - 06/11/13 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
JeffKill wrote on 06/11/13 at 2:18pm:
I've tried the Enduro seals on multiple forks and never did like them.  I'd stick with the Fox seals. 

That's good info given who maybe actually helping with the seal replacement.  And when I say helping, well you know what I mean.

IP Logged

JR
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 06/11/13 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Has anyone tried the SKF wiper seals?
I ask because apparently they started making them for bikes...
« Last Edit: 06/11/13 at 3:53pm by JR »  

"Don't rely on those who won't try"

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #5 - 06/11/13 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
JR wrote on 06/11/13 at 3:53pm:
Has anyone tried the SKF wiper seals?
I ask because apparently they started making them for bikes...

I posted the same question on Ridemonkey and the response there was a little more specific.  They mentioned the newest Fox seals are manufactured by SKF and superior other than the color choice.  Undecided

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #6 - 06/11/13 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Originally, the early  Fox seals were junk.   Most wouldn't make it a year before leaking. I started using the Enduros many years ago. Didn't have any issues, THey keep the dirt out. Probably the best wiper out there. They do have a long break in period. They also can have some stiction issues, but it eventualy goes away.

About 2  years ago I started using the R/S seals on all my 32 mm applications. They seem to do just fine. Initial break in was fast with very little stiction.

As of recently I have installed some of the new and improved Fox seals . They definatly have made some improvements. Still not sure if it is the best seal on the market. I've seen alot of the new factory installed Fox seasl leave rubber like material on the stantions. It wipes off but is a little disheartening.

« Last Edit: 06/11/13 at 8:34pm by Enoch »  

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #7 - 06/12/13 at 12:49am
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 06/11/13 at 8:31pm:
Originally, the early  Fox seals were junk.   Most wouldn't make it a year before leaking. I started using the Enduros many years ago. Didn't have any issues, THey keep the dirt out. Probably the best wiper out there. They do have a long break in period. They also can have some stiction issues, but it eventualy goes away.

About 2  years ago I started using the R/S seals on all my 32 mm applications. They seem to do just fine. Initial break in was fast with very little stiction.

As of recently I have installed some of the new and improved Fox seals . They definatly have made some improvements. Still not sure if it is the best seal on the market. I've seen alot of the new factory installed Fox seasl leave rubber like material on the stantions. It wipes off but is a little disheartening.

New forks either RS or FOX rarely have the right amount of oil in the lowers and under lubricated seals. I usually pull the lowers and hit the seals with Slick Honey or M-Prep.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print