Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Wheels v. Wheels (Read 1091 times)
Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Wheels v. Wheels
10/10/13 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
I have a good idea that this topic is going to draw some debate but Im looking for advice on a strong and light 29" wheelset. Why?

Im doing the research in preparation for building my first 29er SS. Frame is going to be one of a few ive narrowed down, fork is going to be a float or revelation 140mm, and everything else I already have. Except wheels. Im going to be riding here some but mostly Pisgah style trail so im searching for a strong wheel, but not one that weighs a ton. I know you can't have both but I'd like somewhere in the middle, maybe more towards the strong than light. 

So. Questions are:

Rims:
Stan's: Arch EX v. Flow 
Mavics?
DT Swiss? Any suggestions

Hubs:
I run hope pro evo 2s on my bike now but im less than thrilled with the engagement. 
Chris Kings? Anyone?
I9s are sweet but are they worth the $?

Ill be running SS so quick engagement is a priority. Also, its gotta be fairly easy to service to service them too. Thanks for the feedback folks Smiley
« Last Edit: 10/10/13 at 8:14pm by Banjopickin »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Re: Wheels v. Wheels
Reply #1 - 10/10/13 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
+1 on the Kings.

I believe they can with stand the harsh mtn enviroment  better than any other hub out there. They are just sealed up better. They may not be best free spinning wheels, but thier bearings seem to be ageless. Mine have over 10 years on them.

Stans rims are good, but they can start showing some cracks at the spoke holes after a couple years. I'm liking my Pacenti rims with the eyelets. Unfortunately I can't give a long term report.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

Gibbs
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #2 - 10/10/13 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
+2 on the Kings if you have the scratch, they also use Stans rims for thier in house wheels, but if I was in that price range I might be also looking at the i9 (with the alum spokes) for the stiffest(er) wheel.

what about chi carbon rim?

FWIW I am buling an xc/trail ss wheel set but am looking at Blunt's 

IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Reply #3 - 10/10/13 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
I like the EX Flow rims.  They are strong and pretty light.  I have not been able to hurt them yet, and I have done some stupid stuff!  The Pacenti rims Enoch had looked pretty tough too but I guess time will tell.  They held up pretty well off that cannon at BYT  Wink  I love the engagement on I 9's but I have not tried King.  Big difference between the Hope and the I 9's though.  Ill let you test ride next time I see you

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #4 - 10/10/13 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
My problem is my build budget wont allow me to buy new so I've been scouring Pinkbike and Ebay for a good set of used wheels. There's a ton of Arch EX's with hopes out there.

The ideal wheel would be strong, light, and easily serviceable. Althought "light" is objective. I would need something that can withstand the abuse of daily Pisgah rides. Flows fit the bill I guess. Im going to keep my eyes peeled for some King hubs. Sounds like those are the way to go. I9's next and then Hopes if I cant find anything in my price range. Thanks for help folks

IP Logged

Gravitythief76
In The Loop
Project Board

Just say no to Man-dex

Reply #5 - 10/11/13 at 1:36am
Print Post  
Kings to flow ex hans damph ros9 frame pike fork reverb stealth spank spike pedals raceface turbine stem enve dh bar xt brakes

There youre done. Youre welcome.

I'M STILL ALIVE!!!!

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #6 - 10/11/13 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Actually the Hope Pro II EVO SS hubs have twice the engagement of the standard Pro II EVO's. 48T vs 24t.  Their new geared hubs will get bumped up to 40t vs 24t and should be available later this month.  Don't know if that's gonna mean 80t for the SS hubs.

Chris Kings are hard to beat but need a special took kit to fully service them.  After building a fee sets of the new I-9 Torch hubs, I'm a fan of their redesign.  Has the engagement of the CK's but the ease of service like Hopes. 

Flow EX for Pisgah riding.  Don't think you'll have as big a problem with cracking rims that I've observed on the Arch's.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #7 - 10/11/13 at 11:54am
Print Post  
I like the sound of the SS Hope hubs having quicker engagement but I'd be needing a cassette hub. Im planning on doing a few races up there in the future and like the idea of slapping on a derailluer for when I need it. SS'n around here aint no problem but its another ballgame up in the hills. Thats good to know about the new Pro II EVO's though.

And it sounds like Gravitythief has already picked out what he's getting me for Christmas...Thanks man! Grin

IP Logged

eapap9
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #8 - 10/11/13 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
If your looking used keep an eye out for e-thirteen TRS.  I have been on these for about 9 months and couldn't be happier.
Super expensive new but a lot of people look for Chris King and I-9s so you may be able to get these for a good bit cheaper. (as I did)
I know you were talking about going to 29er, which in my search sold for a good bit more than the 26ers.

Not much experience with the others but thought I would give you another option. 60 points of engagement.

Example:

« Last Edit: 10/11/13 at 1:18pm by eapap9 »  

IP Logged

JonnyBoy
Small Cog

one is all you need

Reply #9 - 10/11/13 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Forget the Kings. Get some Paul Components hubs with a White Industries freewheel. Bombproof stuff, made in the USA, high engagement freewheel, and you'll have a couple hundred bones left over.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print