Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Rear shock problem (Read 686 times)
kunzite21

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Rear shock problem
10/06/14 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Hello all,

I have a fuel EX 27.5 with a Fox Evolution Series Float, DRCV, CTD rear shock

I have the it setup for a 200lbs rider (i don't wight that much) yet with i have it in the descend setting I bottom it out all the time at North Mech or WWC.

should I add more air or is this just a problem with this shock 

Thanks for the help

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

James Banta
Small Cog

Re: Rear shock problem
Reply #1 - 10/06/14 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
What % is your sag set to?  The descend setting tries to "smooth" out the trail but its not great for big hits since it seems to have less compression dampening.  I would set it to trail mode and let er rip.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Clinton
Coaster Bike

Reply #2 - 10/07/14 at 1:49am
Print Post  
I had the same issue with a rear fox ctd on my enduro and fiddling with the rebound and pressure helped but it was a little harsh with too much air.  I had bought the shock used so I sent it to suspension experts for a regular service (never mentioned this issue) and it hasn't had a problem with it since.  No idea what changed though but I can run much less air and not bottom in descend mode anymore. 

That probably isnt too helpful but maybe give suspension experts a call and ask about it?

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #3 - 10/07/14 at 9:39am
Print Post  
I would readjust your sag and air pressure to factory specs. Could be that you have lost air pressure somehow and/or you do not have your sag set properly. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Also, Ive found with CTD that descend mode is not the best for taking big hits like jumps and drops. Set your shock up in descend but if your hitting bigger stuff try it in Trail and see if your still bottoming. Almost every shock will bottom out if you slam the rear wheel down off of bigger drops and the air/sag isnt set up to your specs. I ran slightly more air aned quicker rebound on my CTD

if this doenst work buy a DB Inline

Suspension Experts does solid work too...

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

kunzite21

Reply #4 - 10/07/14 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
set my sag and air pressure to factory specs and rode North mech last night. and in trail setting i bottomed out on all the little jumps out there. bike is only 2 months old and really do want to buy a new shock it i don't have to

IP Logged

Clinton
Coaster Bike

Reply #5 - 10/07/14 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
Did you buy the bike new from a Trek dealer?  I'd go that route, it does sound like something is wrong, and if not maybe they can help you get it setup correct.

Describe these jumps?  Flat or uphill landing?

IP Logged

MTBman1127
Small Cog

Work Ride Drink Beer

Reply #6 - 10/08/14 at 12:44am
Print Post  
If you are having troubles with your shock it is most likely the DCRV. While it does give a bottomless feel they do tend to use a lot of travel. If your not feeling the bike bottom out I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most of my rides I end up with my little rubber band off the stantion (I ride a Remedy fwiw).  You can tune this with some volume spacer's from PUSH

I have the small spacer in mine but one of my friends that's closer to your weight rides with the large spacer in his and he said it help tremendously. I would go that route first. 

Also once in the travel the "trail" and "descend" setting are not that much different. The main difference is in the pedaling platform. Does your shock have the ReAktiv damper or normal?

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: 10/08/14 at 12:52am by MTBman1127 »  

Triangle Pest Control - 704.698.5357 - Low Trailblazer Rates

IP Logged

Woods Rider
Small Cog

I wanna ride

Reply #7 - 10/11/14 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
The problem is related to two issues, first the air pressure/sag setting if not measured by travel it is probably off, most riders set the pressure by what the book says, 150 lbs = xx psi and off they go. The mistake normally is that riders do not use their correct weight, get your gear on helmet, shoes, backpack etc. just as your would be ready to hit the trail, then weight your self. This is your starting point, now adjust your air pressure accordingly and do the measured sag setting, adjusting the air pressure as needed.
Next the CTD mode, you will likely bottom in the descend mode as it has the softest compression damping exactly what you do not want on big hits, on big hits you want firm damping (assuming your sag/air/spring rates are correct), the setting should be that you only bottom on real big hits. 
The descend mode has a low compression rate so your wheel follows the terrain and offers a very soft/plush ride. 
For those of us over 180 lbs this normally means we have to send off our forks and shocks to have them custom tuned.
« Last Edit: 10/11/14 at 3:38pm by Woods Rider »  

Government has no reason to use common sense or be efficient as it pays no price for failure.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print