Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) XT or SLX hydro brakeset (Read 1245 times)
nativewarrior
Ex Member

XT or SLX hydro brakeset
11/18/14 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
So I'm belly aching over which brakeset to buy. It's going on a rigid Misfit Dissent single speed. I've read that they are pretty much the same brake accept for weight and a couple minor adjustment features. Just looking for feedback on either set from your experience. What's the best fit for a not so fast XC rider. I have a set of Tektro Draco hydros on the bike now and am not to happy with em.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Natedilla
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: XT or SLX hydro brakeset
Reply #1 - 11/18/14 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Ive got SLX's on the same bike of course, ha. No issues over the past year unlike my previous Avids which sucked very deeply. Im happy with them but id like me some XT's for the bling
« Last Edit: 11/18/14 at 10:51pm by Natedilla »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #2 - 11/18/14 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
potato/potato...

They're essentially the same thing with SLX not having the "servo wave" lever. That only gives a little smoother lever action. 

I run XT's on all my bicycles and have no complaints....

***On a side note I also run the non-finned metallic pads in them which are way cheaper than the finned ones. After a couple months of weekly Pisgah I havent noticed any difference so they should be more than enough for Charlotte trails.
« Last Edit: 11/18/14 at 11:11pm by Banjopickin »  

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 11/19/14 at 12:38am
Print Post  
I went with XTs because they were only $20 more at the time I bought them, and I am loving them, but if the price difference was more significant I would've gone SLX.  From what I read when researching/comparing the two their braking performance is practically the same.

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #4 - 11/19/14 at 12:39am
Print Post  
And I second the non-finned pads.  They're 1/3 the price and work exactly the same.

IP Logged

OoHoO
Little Ring

Gnar...Gnar...Gnar..

Reply #5 - 11/19/14 at 2:55am
Print Post  
I have XT's and love em, they are only $20 more for both front and back on jenson. I can't speak to the slx but the power and feel of the XT's is far north of the avids and formulas that I have had. Also the ease of bleeding of any shimano is reason enough to switch vs the other brands.

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29 - Ridin' It
2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 - Gone
2012 Cannondale Trail 6 - Gone

IP Logged

Racnfirecapn
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 11/19/14 at 5:22am
Print Post  
I'm old now and not as speedy as I used to be, but the shimanos are definitely hands down better than the avids I've used.  I currently have one bike with SLX and one with XT brakes and don't notice any difference in the braking ability between the two. The only difference I can tell is the adjustability of the XT levers.  I also pm'd you about a spare set of xt brakes I'm going to sell if you are interested.

"The older I get the faster I WAS"

IP Logged

nativewarrior
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/19/14 at 6:46am
Print Post  
Think I'm going with the SLX's but man those XT's are calling my name. Thanks for the input fellas.

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/19/14 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
I had backcountry price match these, and I got them for like $165 or something crazy like that for the set. 

Had them to my door in two days.

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #9 - 11/19/14 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
OoHoO wrote on 11/19/14 at 2:55am:
I have XT's and love em, they are only $20 more for both front and back on jenson. I can't speak to the slx but the power and feel of the XT's is far north of the avids and formulas that I have had. Also the ease of bleeding of any shimano is reason enough to switch vs the other brands.

I did the same thing and went with XT's, the reach adjustment was worth the extra $20 for me, but I mainly change the reach if I am riding int he mountains on longer descents.

IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #10 - 11/19/14 at 2:27pm
Print Post  

XT's all the way.  For the price they're going for right now there's no reason not to spring for the XT's.  I got mine for $99 a pair at Jenson, but I have seen them lately as cheap as $82 each like the link posted above.  I've ridden both and had no issue with the SLX's but for what you can get XT's for right now its nice to have the "fancier" model.

If your dead set on the SLX's here's a link for the cheapest I've seen them at $71....

For $22 more bucks though I'd go XT's but then I like blingy stuff. Cool
« Last Edit: 11/19/14 at 2:29pm by flynbryan19 »  

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #11 - 11/19/14 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Get the XTs... Do it.

Do it.

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

nativewarrior
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/20/14 at 12:47am
Print Post  
What the hell.... A lil bling ain't never hurt nobody! XT's it is.

IP Logged

nativewarrior
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/25/14 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Just copped a pair of XT's from CRC $140.00 after "BF2014" promo code. They come moto style but I figure I'll have to shorten them anyway and make the switch then. Best price I've come across anywhere.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print