Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 2018 summer MTB series cancelled? (Read 5391 times)
TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Re: 2018 summer MTB series cancelled?
Reply #20 - 04/09/18 at 11:22am
Print Post  
pearl wrote on 04/04/18 at 6:50pm:

I'd love to get the conversation rolling on this and be part of the rebirth of XC racing in the area. Let me know how I can get involved.

Thank you for all of your ideas!  We will make sure to include you in the conversation, I know you know Neal as well.

I think taking a break can be a positive thing because the series was obviously not where it once was. It will come back better!

Once the Dixie River Trails open up we will have a Dual Slalom track in our area and descents long enough to hold a Super D race.  So to add on to Pearl's suggestion of mixing it up, we could do:  short track rounds, xc rounds, dual slalom rounds, and super D rounds all within the series.  Now that would be an mtb series worth competing in!

« Last Edit: 04/09/18 at 11:39am by TrillWill »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

Zakaraia Hermes
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #21 - 04/09/18 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Dual slalom might be the best thing the blazers have ever done. Too bad the wwc didn’t do it years ago as it would have made for some awesome Thursday nights

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #22 - 04/09/18 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
northlknrider wrote on 04/08/18 at 3:03am:
I would like to see a race at Fisher Farm, Anne Springs and LKN.....

Though I'm with you (fisher farm was my first ever race) my understanding from talking to Neil in the past was Fisher was the first one kicked off the list due to low attendance.  I personally found rounds like that one and WWC more fun cause they were more challenging.  Though I understand the convenience of North Meck and the fact that its not too intimidating for our "true" beginners its pretty boring after you've been there a few times.  There isn't much to separate the racers aside from all out fitness.  Then, again...  I'm sure there are plenty of guys that could dedicate high training volume and enjoyed that race since it favored their ability.  Will be cool to see what the take aways are from this thread.

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #23 - 04/09/18 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
flynbryan19 wrote on 04/09/18 at 3:41pm:

Though I'm with you (fisher farm was my first ever race) my understanding from talking to Neil in the past was Fisher was the first one kicked off the list due to low attendance.  I personally found rounds like that one and WWC more fun cause they were more challenging.  Though I understand the convenience of North Meck and the fact that its not too intimidating for our "true" beginners its pretty boring after you've been there a few times.  There isn't much to separate the racers aside from all out fitness.  Then, again...  I'm sure there are plenty of guys that could dedicate high training volume and enjoyed that race since it favored their ability.  Will be cool to see what the take aways are from this thread.

Idk... you start getting below 14-15 minute laps @ North Meck and bike handling plays a bigger role than you think.

IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #24 - 04/10/18 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
sCvHeaVens wrote on 04/09/18 at 4:44pm:

Idk... you start getting below 14-15 minute laps @ North Meck and bike handling plays a bigger role than you think.

14-15min lap times is currently outside of my ability. lol  I've seen the expert guys put in anywhere from high 12's to low 13's and just cannot comprehend that level of speed.  Again, that is an extreme level of fitness and favors riders of that level/ability.

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

WillMurray
Small Cog

Reply #25 - 04/16/18 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Strava.

People would rather stack themselves up virtually than line up in real life.

That's my 1 cent.

Bummer on the series.

Equal opportunity cyclist

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #26 - 04/16/18 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
XC racing is all about fitness, whether its a 30 minute short track race or a 100 mile race, your fitness is going to carry you more often than not. While I love a good techy trail to make up time, or open up a gap on a rider with less technical ability, a looming 2 minute hill is going to make up more of a difference than a 10 second rock garden. Those rock gardens are few and far between here.

If you want to remove the fitness aspect, I guess that is what the enduro platform is for. Not many enduros in the CLT area though.

WillMurray wrote on 04/16/18 at 4:11pm:
Strava.

People would rather stack themselves up virtually than line up in real life.

I don't think this is the case for all racers. Sometimes the fastest time at a race isn't the fast you would go, but more in how the race plays out.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

WillMurray
Small Cog

Reply #27 - 04/16/18 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
pearl wrote on 04/16/18 at 5:58pm:
XC racing is all about fitness, whether its a 30 minute short track race or a 100 mile race, your fitness is going to carry you more often than not. While I love a good techy trail to make up time, or open up a gap on a rider with less technical ability, a looming 2 minute hill is going to make up more of a difference than a 10 second rock garden. Those rock gardens are few and far between here.

If you want to remove the fitness aspect, I guess that is what the enduro platform is for. Not many enduros in the CLT area though.

I don't think this is the case for all racers. Sometimes the fastest time at a race isn't the fast you would go, but more in how the race plays out.

The fittest racers win Enduro's too. Assuming skill is equal Wink

I agree with your second comment as well but will add that I can see not as many noobs getting into racing weekly if they can race, when and where they want, virtually and get their kicks out of beating friends and such that way. Racers will always race, but the casual racer not so much. 
« Last Edit: 04/16/18 at 6:34pm by WillMurray »  

Equal opportunity cyclist

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #28 - 04/16/18 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
WillMurray wrote on 04/16/18 at 6:31pm:

The fittest racers win Enduro's too. Assuming only skill is equal Wink

I agree with your second comment as well but will add that I can see not as many noobs getting into racing weekly if they can race, when and where they want, virtually and get their kicks out of beating friends and such that way. Racers will always race, but the casual racer not so much. 

touche!

Agreed, putting a time up thats faster than one of your bros is always a good feeling, the natural progression will lead towards racing, I imagine Smiley

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

chris
Small Cog

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #29 - 04/20/18 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
I want to thank donking and his crew, you know who you are. for all the years (20+) I have been racing in his races. all the hard work it took to put the races on. I cant believe how many friends I've made while racing. just when I was ready to dominate the expert class too. (lol). THANKS NEAL !!! Cheers Brother

IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #30 - 04/20/18 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
chris wrote on 04/20/18 at 2:33pm:
I want to thank donking and his crew, you know who you are. for all the years (20+) I have been racing in his races. all the hard work it took to put the races on. I cant believe how many friends I've made while racing. just when I was ready to dominate the expert class too. (lol). THANKS NEAL !!! Cheers Brother

Totally agree!  Ultimately I had a hard time making it to Wed. night races and ended up not wanting to fight to get out there on time every week.  However, I had a lot of fun racing and met some great people.  Personally, my bike handling skills improved right along with my fitness when I decided to give racing a try.  The events were organized and I know a lot of hard work went into them.

IP Logged

zino
Coaster Bike

Reply #31 - 04/22/18 at 2:08am
Print Post  
Too many races and race times killed the social connection that events had established in earlier years.  Too much availability ends scarcity which ends urgency to participate.  Racing in the Woods, based in Piedmont, participation down tremendously too.

IP Logged

Harry Balsagna
Small Cog

Keep on rocking in the
free world.

Reply #32 - 05/31/18 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Is anyone interested in a couple not-really-a-race races out at PRP this summer on the 1.25 mile greenside/playground loop or more technical .75 mile north loop?  I've been mulling over some ideas how it could shake out, would be free, informal, no timing, no prizes, no recognition.  Go out in ~3 groups for men ~2 for women, 1 kids.  Would be a set lap count (maybe 7-9 for cat 1, 5-6 for cat 2, 3-4 for beginner).  Just some fun and healthy competition to keep the legs loose and blood flowing.  LMK.

I'm in no condition to ride...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk!

IP Logged

bikermedic
Little Ring

Swim, Bike, Run 140.6

Reply #33 - 05/31/18 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Harry,

While I applaud your motivation and want to do something for the greater good, there are a few things that you need to take into account. 

1.  PRP would require a contract/agreement to run a race there.   
2.  The city would require insurance 
3.  Any organized race whether there is a charge for it or not there would be a need for yup, you got it insurance.   

Just my thoughts from running a low-cost grassroots race training series in the past.

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #34 - 05/31/18 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
bikermedic wrote on 05/31/18 at 9:25pm:
Harry,

While I applaud your motivation and want to do something for the greater good, there are a few things that you need to take into account. 

3.  Any organized race whether there is a charge for it or not there would be a need for yup, you got it insurance.  

Just my thoughts from running a low-cost grassroots race training series in the past. 

Why does it have to be more organized than something coordinated here.  In other words.. how would it be any different from the weekly social rides?

IP Logged

bikermedic
Little Ring

Swim, Bike, Run 140.6

Reply #35 - 05/31/18 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Because its racing.....

ChosenOne wrote on 05/31/18 at 11:05pm:

Why does it have to be more organized than something coordinated here.  In other words.. how would it be any different from the weekly social rides?

IP Logged

Harry Balsagna
Small Cog

Keep on rocking in the
free world.

Reply #36 - 06/01/18 at 12:44am
Print Post  
bikermedic wrote on 05/31/18 at 9:25pm:
Harry,

Not a race.  Show up and ride x amount of laps with people in a similar fitness/skill category as you.  First one to finish wins nothing.  You call it a race, you own it.  I'm just trying to get people out riding.

IP Logged

Harry Balsagna
Small Cog

Keep on rocking in the
free world.

Reply #37 - 06/01/18 at 12:52am
Print Post  
ChosenOne wrote on 05/31/18 at 11:05pm:

Exactly.  A group ride with people grouped by skill level. 

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #38 - 06/01/18 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
bikermedic wrote on 05/31/18 at 11:41pm:
Because its racing.....

oh OK... didn't realize it was racing.   What if you call it something else would that make it easier for you?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print