Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Discuss Upgrading the TT website (Website Host) (Read 942 times)
49er 29er

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Discuss Upgrading the TT website (Website Host)
06/09/18 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Hi - Dan S. again... I attended the June meeting at the WWC where we discussed upgrading the club website.  I started another Topic on upgrading the forum.

This topic is about upgrading the website itself.  I'm not an expert but here are some practical steps.  Others please contribute too.

1) The club has a website today.  Determine if the club owns the URL ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)) or if the current webhosting company owns it.  Hopefully the club owns it which makes it easier to move to a different webhosting company.

2) Determine the current webhosting company.  I would be happy to spend some time talking to who ever in the club knows the most about topics 1 and 2 and try to talk them through how to answer these questions.

3) Research to find the 'best' new webhosting providers out there.  Start with reviews like this:    (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)   and topics around webhosting like this:  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
and: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

4) Make sure any new webhosting provider supports YaBB (because that's what the club forum runs on today).

5) Most webhosting providers have a service to 'bring over' your old website content to the new.  Services vary widely.

6) If the club has more than one URL (such as a .org to go along with its .com address) then they can have both the old and the new websites running at the same time.  This allows for plenty of time to 'get it right'.

7) Lots of other steps too but I wanted to get the discussion going.  See my other Topic about how to bring the existing forum content from old to new.

« Last Edit: 06/09/18 at 8:13pm by 49er 29er »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Re: Discuss Upgrading the TT website (Website Host)
Reply #1 - 06/20/18 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
i know this post is ancient, but you guys should look into using something created within the last couple of years for forum software. Something like XenoForo?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Discuss Upgrading the TT website (Website Host)
Reply #2 - 06/27/18 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
49er 29er wrote on 06/09/18 at 7:56pm:
Hi - Dan S. again... I attended the June meeting at the WWC where we discussed upgrading the club website.  I started another Topic on upgrading the forum.

This topic is about upgrading the website itself.  I'm not an expert but here are some practical steps.  Others please contribute too.

1) The club has a website today.  Determine if the club owns the URL ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)) or if the current webhosting company owns it.  Hopefully the club owns it which makes it easier to move to a different webhosting company.

2) Determine the current webhosting company.  I would be happy to spend some time talking to who ever in the club knows the most about topics 1 and 2 and try to talk them through how to answer these questions.

3) Research to find the 'best' new webhosting providers out there.  Start with reviews like this:    (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)   and topics around webhosting like this:  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
and: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

4) Make sure any new webhosting provider supports YaBB (because that's what the club forum runs on today).

5) Most webhosting providers have a service to 'bring over' your old website content to the new.  Services vary widely.

6) If the club has more than one URL (such as a .org to go along with its .com address) then they can have both the old and the new websites running at the same time.  This allows for plenty of time to 'get it right'.

7) Lots of other steps too but I wanted to get the discussion going.  See my other Topic about how to bring the existing forum content from old to new.

You don't need more than one URL for testing, most of the time the hosting company has a domain name they can add your site to temporarily (usually not an extra cost) - e.g. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links); You can also use host files for the select few that may be testing it to see exactly what will happen when you move the DNS over.

As far as I can tell "networksolutions" is the registar; this is who validates who owns the domain and sells the name.  The IP here goes back to EGI so maybe there isn't a "web hosting" company; or they lease their stuff from EGI.

I work in infrastructure support; so I'm very experienced with aspect of what needs to be done to move the content if I can help in anyways.

Jeff

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print