Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) TTB Trail User Survey Results (Read 4007 times)
Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Re: TTB Trail User Survey Results
Reply #20 - 02/19/19 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Oskie wrote on 02/19/19 at 3:45pm:

I suspect there's a large prejudice against machine built trails because they are deemed "less cool" or easier. The goal should be well designed, constructed and maintained instead of the construction method. If you blindfolded people and had them ride a hand built trail and then a machine built one, I doubt many could tell the difference.

Totally agree... there is a stigma against machine built trail. Especially from the "old school" crowd that grew up building and riding trail that was made with shovels, rakes, etc. Hard earned trail that had a very unique character.

Machine building is the way to go IMO when applicable. You can make some very cool trail that is still plenty "raw" for those wanting tech. 

I think the stigma comes from the fact that most new machine built trails dont leave enough natural features (rocks, roots, etc.) to keep things fun and interesting. You can only ride a dirt sidewalk so many times before it gets boring. But thats my opinion and is not shared by everyone.

I invite everyone to go ride the Hickory Park trails. That is a great example of building with machines but also keeping alot of natural features and building man-made features to keep things fun.

I wish we had that trail here in Asheville...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #21 - 02/19/19 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Part of it could be the way question 9 was built. "Mountain bike optimized" is a close number 2, but those could certainly be machine or hand built. #9 only allowed one response. 

Look at questions 7,8 and 10 for more of the picture. Especially question 10. People are not saying they don't want smooth or flowy trails.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Reply #22 - 02/20/19 at 1:07am
Print Post  
SirNotAppearing wrote on 02/19/19 at 6:30pm:
Part of it could be the way question 9 was built. "Mountain bike optimized" is a close number 2, but those could certainly be machine or hand built. #9 only allowed one response. 

Look at questions 7,8 and 10 for more of the picture. Especially question 10. People are not saying they don't want smooth or flowy trails.

Correct. No one (at least not me) is saying flow trails aren't fun.  Q#9 asked what folks liked MOST so there can be only one answer.  When I read the choice of "Mountain bike optimized" I thought of places like Warrior Creek, and the rebuilt parts of Uhwarrie.   Not single track by my definition, Yes machine built, Yes good fun, but no-not what I most prefer.  Yet, there are times I'll drive much further to go to those kinds of trails rather than a more local, more ST trail because it's there to be had.

I think we all can agree that it's nice to have diversity in what is available, but the machine is not always the best answer for new construction even if the funds were available to hire a pro. 

Now-I'll go dust off my IMBA trail building guide book to see if they define what mountain bike optimized means Undecided
« Last Edit: 02/20/19 at 1:32am by SurlyDave »  

IP Logged

worker-rider
In The Loop

Reply #23 - 02/20/19 at 1:40am
Print Post  
Oskie I bet I could tell the difference between the two. I have worked on both hand built and machine cut. I like both but to me machine built gets boring and you don't have to think much. It's usually as wide as the machine that cut it and sometimes as smooth as a baby's a$$. I also get tired of real singletrack as it becomes neutered down by other riders and walkers over time and can get boring if you ride it enough. But it still gets you to think and react. It also has soul and thought. Go up to snowshoe and ride skyline 10 times and some of the other trails up that way and it will get old fast. Both types of trails have their place and I am fond of both. I also like Hickory city park it may be machine cut but it has character and is a challlenge. I know not everyone will EVER be happy with what we have in the area. What is going on up at Allison farm is going to be fun and thanks to Evan and crew! I'm glad to see both types of trail at Fisher and both types working together at Balllantyne on the advanced loop. Both types of trail have a place in our area and I hope more share the same place such as Dixie River. I know I'm old and build crappy no flow singletrack but you can find the flow. You just have to look and work a little harder for it. I'm looking forward to both types in our area to keep everyone happy! I have also been helping up on some property in the mountains that have both machine cut and hand cut trail. The owners have now opted to hand cut the rest of it so it looks more natural. Yes it will take a hell of a lot longer but will leave less scaring of the property. Can't wait to go back up and get to narrow hand benching 4 to 5 miles. Great property and great people to help! I'm just really glad we have such diverse trails in the Charlotte area because most don't and we are very spoiled by the relationship we have with our parks and rec department. If you only knew what it was like around here in 1986 to 1990. The club has come a long long way. Thanks to all that have gotten it this far and to those who have chosen to take it further!!!! Well that's my 1 cent soap box speech.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #24 - 02/20/19 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
worker-rider wrote on 02/20/19 at 1:40am:
Oskie I bet I could tell the difference between the two. I have worked on both hand built and machine cut. I like both but to me machine built gets boring and you don't have to think much. It's usually as wide as the machine that cut it and sometimes as smooth as a baby's a$$. I also get tired of real singletrack as it becomes neutered down by other riders and walkers over time and can get boring if you ride it enough. But it still gets you to think and react. It also has soul and thought. Go up to snowshoe and ride skyline 10 times and some of the other trails up that way and it will get old fast. Both types of trails have their place and I am fond of both. I also like Hickory city park it may be machine cut but it has character and is a challlenge. I know not everyone will EVER be happy with what we have in the area. What is going on up at Allison farm is going to be fun and thanks to Evan and crew! I'm glad to see both types of trail at Fisher and both types working together at Balllantyne on the advanced loop. Both types of trail have a place in our area and I hope more share the same place such as Dixie River. I know I'm old and build crappy no flow singletrack but you can find the flow. You just have to look and work a little harder for it. I'm looking forward to both types in our area to keep everyone happy! I have also been helping up on some property in the mountains that have both machine cut and hand cut trail. The owners have now opted to hand cut the rest of it so it looks more natural. Yes it will take a hell of a lot longer but will leave less scaring of the property. Can't wait to go back up and get to narrow hand benching 4 to 5 miles. Great property and great people to help! I'm just really glad we have such diverse trails in the Charlotte area because most don't and we are very spoiled by the relationship we have with our parks and rec department. If you only knew what it was like around here in 1986 to 1990. The club has come a long long way. Thanks to all that have gotten it this far and to those who have chosen to take it further!!!! Well that's my 1 cent soap box speech.

What he said.  We have some great old school trail and great new school trail coming.  I have my own preference as to what I like to ride but I see the variety in this area only getting better and more people getting involved. Smiley

Mark

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Ich bin für Sie zu schnell

Reply #25 - 02/20/19 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Mark it’s about time for that video of you riding a donut over some logs.

Do you suffur from nympholespy as I?

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #26 - 02/20/19 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
I think the donut rides him.

IP Logged

MX Mac
Coaster Bike

Old School, West Side
CLT Kid

Reply #27 - 02/20/19 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
The questions needed some tweaking, but I don’t want to be a complainer.  The data from Q9 and Q10 is contradicting. I agree with the Q9- Q12 commentary.  The majority of riders enjoy machine built trail now. But overall, I interpret the whole of the data as saying, I want well maintained flowing trail with varying levels of difficulty and mantained natural features.  And well over 50% felt that they had enough trail, and trail diversity near them.  Oh, and a big reenforcement that there are still many lazy riders out there.....who are also cheap.

IP Logged

Wears my bike
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #28 - 02/21/19 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
We are going to complete a follow up survey to dive in for more detail on specific questions. Anyone want to volunteer to write the questions and compile results?

I'm glad that this is an environment where you feel free to fail.

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #29 - 02/21/19 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Wears my bike wrote on 02/21/19 at 2:48pm:
We are going to complete a follow up survey to dive in for more detail on specific questions. Anyone want to volunteer to write the questions and compile results?

DG wrote on 02/14/19 at 3:46pm:
The I am too lazy reply at the last question is an easy way out, if you spend 10 minutes on a questionnaire or reading the various replies you can very well spend one minute to donate and become a member.

I also believe "I'm too lazy" is the easy way out.  I also believe the majority of current long term members don't want to hear some of the real reasoning.

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #30 - 02/22/19 at 2:13am
Print Post  
sCvHeaVens wrote on 02/21/19 at 8:30pm:

I also believe "I'm too lazy" is the easy way out.  I also believe the majority of current long term members don't want to hear some of the real reasoning.

Lay it on us. We're wearing our big boy pants.

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Reply #31 - 02/22/19 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I also believe the majority of current long term members don't want to hear some of the real reasoning.

Lay it out there!  We're listening, and can't make progress unless folks speak up. 

The whole reason I joined the board 3 years ago is that I thought we could take our local mountain biking organization and scene to the next level.  The folks on the board will be the first to admit we have a long way to go.  That's why we spend 5-20hrs (sometimes more  Shocked) a week of our "spare time" behind the scenes working to advance our organization and mountain biking in our region.

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

Greg E

Reply #32 - 02/22/19 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Looked like there was a good bit of desire/need for skills park areas, which I’ve been hoping to see for a long time since we don’t have any such in the area. The recent pump trail construction has been extremely well received and I believe skill building areas will be just as well received.

A wise man speaks because he has something to say. A fool speaks because he has to say something.

IP Logged

jaybase09
Coaster Bike

Reply #33 - 02/22/19 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
Greg E wrote on 02/22/19 at 8:07pm:
Looked like there was a good bit of desire/need for skills park areas, which I’ve been hoping to see for a long time since we don’t have any such in the area. The recent pump trail construction has been extremely well received and I believe skill building areas will be just as well received.

Speaking of a skills park did I see at springs they were starting to make one by stumpy pond?

IP Logged

hyper
Small Cog

High Roller In Training

Reply #34 - 02/23/19 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Can't volunteer time due to family issues and an injury, but just donated money Smiley  Just don't let Mutt spend it all on beer

Patrick
2018 Rocky Mountain Element
2012 Marin Nail 29er
2019 Giant Revole

http://spacecowboy11.

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #35 - 02/27/19 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
SirNotAppearing wrote on 02/22/19 at 2:13am:

Lay it on us. We're wearing our big boy pants.

I'll PM you, been down that road before

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print