Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Kids Bikes? (Read 1227 times)
Heath

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Kids Bikes?
03/18/19 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
I'm embarrassed for my 7 year old son and ashamed as a father for having him ride the big box store bike he's on.  It leaves two tracks when riding in the a straight line the frame is so warped, the wheels are not in the same plane, and the chain goes from tight to loose due to the non concentric chain ring.  I must right this wrong this summer.  Looking for a decent 20 or 24" bike for him.  Don't want to break the bank as he'll quickly outgrow it, but need something decent in the $200-$300 price range.  What are you other parents putting your kids on?  Thanks.

IP Logged

29ftw
Small Cog

Re: Kids Bikes?
Reply #1 - 03/18/19 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
We've had a pile of kids bikes come through our garage.  The specialized Hot Rocks come in a lot of sizes and flavors.  We've had good luck with the 24" model with 7-8 gears.  Our youngest (6yo) is now on a Trek Roscoe 20 and its the best kids bike we've had by a mile.  Ultimate should have both the 20 and 24 on the floor

If you want a fix er upper for cheap, I've got a worn out Hot Rock 24 in blue hanging on the wall.  It needs a shifter, new tires, grips and prob brake pads.

IP Logged

fattirz
Little Ring
In The Loop

I'm not fat... I'm BIG
BONED!!!

Reply #2 - 03/18/19 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
I'd check here (on the Marketplace part of the forum), Craigslist and the Trips for Kids Recyclery....  All of which you should find solid brand named bikes (originally purchased from LBS) for a deal since kids will often outgrow them before they come close to wearing them out.

My kids (son 12 and daughter 9) are on their 4th and 3rd bikes respectively (not including HotWalk balance bike)... Starting with a Specialized 20" HotRock> XS Specialized HotRock 24 Disc> XS HardRock Disc (26" wheels)> Specialized Rockhopper 29.  My daughter ended up with her big brothers hand-me-downs each time, but is thrilled none the less.

Specialized, Trek and Giant make some great kids bikes.  With the $200-$300 range you're willing to spend you should have no problem at all finding a great gently used kids bike.
« Last Edit: 03/19/19 at 3:30pm by fattirz »  

Every ride is a good ride... some are just better than others!
YIM  
IP Logged

mountainbiker90
Small Cog

Is it 5 yet??

Reply #3 - 03/19/19 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Sent you a PM

Yeah, to the best of my knowledge:)

IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Reply #4 - 03/19/19 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
I have a lightly used Specialized, 24" wheels, 1x7 with a suspension fork.  $100

IP Logged

DeVinci
Coaster Bike

Old as time and still
riding

Reply #5 - 03/19/19 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
I can speak for the trips for kids recyclery - we almost always have numerous 20" and 24" on hand fixed up and warrantied by us for good prices.

Call ahead if you're worried or just stop by - the inventory changes daily.

Life is like riding a bicycle.  To keep your balance, you must keep moving.
A. Einstein 1879-1955

IP Logged

Heath

Reply #6 - 03/20/19 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the great replies.  Looks like it's time to go shopping.

IP Logged

mustbeme
Coaster Bike

Reply #7 - 04/10/20 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
I have the NS Bikes 20" on FB.

You can message me here also.  I live near Freedom Park in Charlotte.  Asking more than your stated Budget however

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print