Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 2020 Short Track Is Coming (Read 14903 times)
Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Re: 2020 Short Track Is Coming
Reply #40 - 01/20/20 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
For the next race keep everything the same, just tape "Bike PASA" over the sides of the club tent.   Wink
« Last Edit: 01/21/20 at 3:17am by Robert C. »  

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #41 - 01/20/20 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Nope too late. We're playing Baby Shark for 8 hours straight Wink

Seriously though, the feedback has been good. I must confess I was not ready for the amount of kids that came to the tent, and we'll make sure we're ready to better engage with them going forward. Stickers and whatever else I can get my hands on. Espresso shots and puppies maybe.

IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #42 - 01/21/20 at 12:17am
Print Post  
How about a "hell yeah" to the TTB for dumping a whole lotta volunteer time and club money into a HUGE new bridge, lots of fresh all-weathering of the course, refreshing worn-out features, and all the other effort that went into getting everything ready for 2020?

TTB can't take credit for all the music, beer, and heckling, but they can just keep doing the thankless grunge work getting things prepared for the hundreds of race participants every year.

It's unfortunate that the TTB would get them blame for something based on proximity.  Beer, friendly heckling, loud music (I can remember Lucky Cycles and the boombox years), and fun have been a part of it ever since it started fifteen plus years ago.  At least nobody had smoke bombs... again.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Wears my bike
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #43 - 01/21/20 at 12:39am
Print Post  
I think we can all agree looking back the smoke bombs, while awesome to see racers emerging from, was the best bad heckling idea.

I'm glad that this is an environment where you feel free to fail.

IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Ich bin für Sie zu schnell

Reply #44 - 01/21/20 at 4:07am
Print Post  
Yes smoke bombs are a bad idea but not as bad as the year some guy brought out the airhorn. I had to let him know that if he blew that horn in my ear one more time I was gong to shove that horn past his ass starting at his mouth. 

I do think it's time for the rubber snakes and the pinata to make a comeback.

I was really happy to hear everyone cheering on my oldest son (age 6 1/2) as he pushed his bike up the A line for 3 laps. He did say later that a lot of people were giving him support and cheering him on in that area which almost brought a tear to my eye. 

ciao
Santana
« Last Edit: 01/21/20 at 2:52pm by santana »  

Do you suffur from nympholespy as I?

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #45 - 01/21/20 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
teamdicky wrote on 01/21/20 at 12:17am:
How about a "hell yeah" to the TTB for dumping a whole lotta volunteer time and club money into a HUGE new bridge, lots of fresh all-weathering of the course, refreshing worn-out features, and all the other effort that went into getting everything ready for 2020?

TTB can't take credit for all the music, beer, and heckling, but they can just keep doing the thankless grunge work getting things prepared for the hundreds of race participants every year.

It's unfortunate that the TTB would get them blame for something based on proximity.  Beer, friendly heckling, loud music (I can remember Lucky Cycles and the boombox years), and fun have been a part of it ever since it started fifteen plus years ago.  At least nobody had smoke bombs... again.

THIS

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

Guder

Reply #46 - 01/21/20 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
As a Fat Fifty chugging up the A line in beginners/clydes, the heckling was spot on and well appreciated Wink and also nothing but positive when I went through

I thought about skipping it as the burn set in, but I didn't want to let down the crowd  Grin

Now about those beer hand-ups....

IP Logged

drdirt55
Small Cog

Stupid should be painful

Reply #47 - 01/21/20 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Alright, I am definitely coming to heckle! Haven't had a lap of Rennie in years and excited to see what the city gnomes have built. Props to the volunteers, clydesdales, single speeders, hardcores, and kid racers who participate. 

Ride On

IP Logged

FourMat
Coaster Bike

No, Really, I Meant To
Do That

Reply #48 - 01/21/20 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Definitely encourage more for the kids at the tent.  Saw a couple of them come up to spin the wheel but get told that it's almost all beer options.  They looked disappointed.  Stickers with web site address on it would be great and remind them where to look for trail open and close.   

The music has actually gotten a little tamer of the past couple of years, I don't hear the stuff with "bangin' b*tches" and "cappin' m*f'ers" much, but there were some pretty hard lyrics that came through around the time that the kids were lining up.  Saw some wide eyes when they heard it.

Overall, still love the vibe, and let's keep it fun for all.

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #49 - 01/22/20 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
I watched multiple riders leave the heckling section with smiles on their faces.  Some were even laughing.

IP Logged

AMitchell47
Coaster Bike

Reply #50 - 01/22/20 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
I usually come through the heckle zone laughing, crying, exhausted, or all 3.

As fellow hecklers we need to remember that the kids are the future of our sport, and we want parents bringing them back.

Parents buy lots of bikes, shoes, shorts and helmets as those kids grow up.  On the flip side, folks probably don't know who the THTB are, or how much effort they put in.  A little dialogue always helps.

I actually had several people cheering me through the A-line, which makes it much harder to be a slacker and pull over, roll-up into a ball, and start crying about how much my legs and lungs hurt.

Great turn out and a fun (painful?) race.  See everyone Sunday as I fight tooth and nail for mid-pack in +50 with the other geriatrics.

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #51 - 01/26/20 at 12:32am
Print Post  
There. Prize wheel for all. 

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #52 - 01/27/20 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
watch me have the worst start in the history of starts, followed by me chasing one of the strongest riders in the area... on a gravel bike Tongue

IP Logged

mountainbiker90
Small Cog

Is it 5 yet??

Reply #53 - 01/27/20 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Another great day for a race.  Especially enjoyed the 'only positive comments' heckle directed towards me. Made me chuckle. I think the whole attitude of the area was probably different this week. Didn't spend any time there but never heard any gripes from the parents  of kids on our team. Good work all!

Yeah, to the best of my knowledge:)

IP Logged

AMitchell47
Coaster Bike

Reply #54 - 01/27/20 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Wondering if anyone got a photo of me riding under the deflating finish line bridge in +50?  I ducked under right about the moment the big inflatable bridge turned into a giant semi-inflated "M".  I know there are some tricky obstacles in short track, but that took the cake!

I'm still struggling with getting passed in the parking lot only to be held up in the woods.   

Regardless, the suffering is real, the racing is fun (when it's over).

IP Logged

Wears my bike
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #55 - 01/27/20 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
I couldn’t resist....

Side note: please be aware I am pulling up the carpet this week in the berms.  It suddenly reached the end of its life where two weeks ago it provided amazing traction while protecting trail features to being a slippery danger almost overnight. I watched a wreck happen directly attributable to the carpet, have heard a number of wash out stories which all sram to have happened in the carpet, and side slide almost every time though the corners.  So it’s time...

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #56 - 01/27/20 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
The pea gravel in that one section also sketches me out too, I was gonna go out at midnight and rake it or something Wink

IP Logged

Wears my bike
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #57 - 01/27/20 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
I plan to sweep that too. Not sure who put it there, i get what they were trying to do, but its stupid loose without benefit so i sweep off the larger stuff to get rubber down to the grippy stuff.

IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #58 - 01/27/20 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Wears my bike wrote on 01/27/20 at 3:10pm:
I couldn’t resist....

Side note: please be aware I am pulling up the carpet this week in the berms.  It suddenly reached the end of its life where two weeks ago it provided amazing traction while protecting trail features to being a slippery danger almost overnight. I watched a wreck happen directly attributable to the carpet, have heard a number of wash out stories which all sram to have happened in the carpet, and side slide almost every time though the corners.  So it’s time...

Week one victim here.  Was never like that before.  Much excite tho.

« Last Edit: 01/27/20 at 4:00pm by teamdicky »  

IP Logged

AMitchell47
Coaster Bike

Reply #59 - 01/27/20 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
I had a few fantastic two wheel drifts in the carpet last week and this week.  I thought it was just my blazing corner speed.

Perhaps not.

Embarrassed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Print