Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ballantyne trail / David Weekly Homes rezoning (Read 2283 times)
Bfr812

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Ballantyne trail / David Weekly Homes rezoning
01/31/20 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);
FED-UP Ballantyners blast ‘greedy’ developer and cite worries about traffic, schools — and the threat to a 120-year-old farmhouse

Citing concerns about unbearable traffic and overcrowded schools, a crowd of about 150 Ballantyne residents unloaded this week on a developer who wants to build townhomes behind Community House Middle School.

On Wednesday night at South Mecklenburg Presbyterian Church, a representative of David Weekly Homes tried to explain plans to build 164 townhouses on a 37-acre site off Blakeney Heath Road. But the discussion soon devolved into a heated Q&A, with nearby residents airing grievances about students forced to eat lunch on the floor of Ardrey Kell High School and parents having to endure traffic backups so bad that they need 30 minutes to drive a mile to the Morrison YMCA for a morning workout.

To build the townhouses, the developer needs the city to rezone the property, which is now designated for single-family houses. The developer appeared willing to compromise, but the crowd was in more of a torches-and-pitchforks mood.

At times, residents interrupted the consultant giving the presentation with exclamations such as:

“Have you been on that road at 7:40 in the morning?”
“Accidents! How many accidents?”
“We like it the way it is!”
One resident told him: “It’s just a game to get more houses so you can be greedy and get more money for what you’re building. … I feel disrespected that you want to take this plot of land and make as much money as you possibly can. … You’re saying, ‘We’re going to be disrespecting everybody in here that has worked their asses off to get land and build a home and build a community, because we’re going to shove more houses in there, they’re not going to be able to drive, and the schools are overcrowded.’”

Shannon Boling of David Weekly Homes replied: “I appreciate your passion.”

City Council member Ed Driggs told The Ledger after the meeting that it was one of the biggest crowds for a community rezoning meeting that he has seen in his six years on the council.

Ballantyne is not impressed: Residents this week challenged developer David Weekly Homes, which wants to build 164 townhomes off Blakeney Heath Road. Under current zoning, developers could build only 88 single-family houses.

Preserving Ballantyne’s history: One additional wrinkle is that the parcel up for rezoning is designated as a historic landmark because of its proximity to the James A. Blakeney House, which the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission says is a “well-preserved example of a type of farmhouse erected by prosperous farmers in Mecklenburg County in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.” It also “might contain important historic and pre-historic archaeological artifacts.”

The house is believed to have been built between 1901 and 1905. The townhouse development wouldn’t knock down the farmhouse, but it would get close to it, as other housing developments in the area have in the last 25 years.

Land boom: To get a sense of how much land prices in Ballantyne have skyrocketed, check this out: The Commission’s notes from 1986 say the 110 acres that the house was on at the time were appraised at $26,610, or $242 an acre. Today, the 37-acre parcel by the house is valued at more than 70 times that amount per acre, even when factoring in inflation — and it will probably sell for even more than that.

“There are few places in the country that have changed as dramatically as the formerly rural farmland of southern Mecklenburg County,” said Stewart Gray, senior preservation planner with the commission, in an interview. The developer’s plans would need the commission’s blessing, he said.

Bigger picture: The Ballantyne area has been growing quickly since the late 1990s, and residents often say planning for schools and roads has been inadequate. There are other rezonings in the area, as well as apartment towers under construction. But this development seems to be gathering particular opposition because of the awful traffic on two-lane Blakeney Heath Road where it meets Bryant Farms Road.

David Weekly’s zoning consultant, Walter Fields, said after the meeting in an interview that he’s happy to take the feedback from residents and continue working with city planners and neighbors to improve the plans. He said he wasn’t discouraged by the strong opposition: “I’ve had people who love the developments, but they don’t come to the meeting. The people that hate it come here. The people that love it, they figure, ‘Hey, it’s fine. I don’t care.’”

Just a couple miles away, there’s a much bigger project in the works — the proposal by Ballantyne Corporate Park owner Northwood Office to convert the golf course into a mixed-use, town-center-type development that includes 1,000 apartments, 300,000 s.f. of shops and restaurants and an amphitheater in its first phase. A Northwood spokeswoman said via email that the project is “on track.”

Residents at Wednesday’s meeting said they weren’t as opposed to that one.

“The part I like is more restaurants and things to do and the live music venue,” said Chris Craig, 46. “I can see that being a family thing, to go hang out and stroll the park and listen to music on the weekend. But the problem is we don’t need more people out here.”

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Re: Ballantyne trail / David Weekly Homes rezoning
Reply #1 - 01/31/20 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Shannon Boling of David Weekly Homes replied: “I appreciate your passion.”

Surprise, surprise.

Are these the same folks that fill up Elevation church every weekend?  Smiley

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
If I lived there it would only be for investment purposes.
Having some other expectation seems a little misguided or perhaps naive, to me.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bonsai Nut
Coaster Bike

Reply #2 - 01/31/20 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
An interesting article.

There has been run-away development in some areas of California for 40 years now.  The only thing that has stopped some areas from expanding further is State Park and National Forest boundaries... and Camp Pendleton on the coast.  You should see some of the cluster home developments they are throwing up way out in the desert... two hours from the coast.  You wonder who in their right mind would want to live out there.  And considering desert land is almost free... why you would be willing to pay to live in community with 5000 square foot lots.

Infrastructure costs (to expand roads, services, schools, etc) were getting so bad that the state now allows communities to slap a fee on all new development.  This fee, called a "Mello Roos" charge, is IN ADDITION TO property tax, and depending on the community, can double your tax load.  I happen to live in an "older" community that doesn't have Mello Roos, so I "only" pay 1% property tax on our valuation.  In Ladera Ranch (a newer inland community) they pay 2% because of Mello Roos.  Compare this to the standard property tax rate of 0.6% in Iredell County.

It hasn't seemed to slow development one bit, but at least we have nice surface roads.  The road that surrounds my community is six lanes with a planted median and bike lanes.  It is nicer-looking than the 77 Smiley
« Last Edit: 01/31/20 at 5:16pm by Bonsai Nut »  

“...there does seem to be a correlation between how hard people work for something and how much respect they have for it.” - Kioti
IP Logged

Bfr812

Reply #3 - 01/31/20 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
I believe the zoning vote will be in April.  I’m sure there will be lots of meetings between now and then but  we need to oppose this.  If DWH is able to get the rezoning and change it from R3 to U2 (URBAN) these trails will be history.   

There’re slave graves back past the Tech loop so I’m going to call Harvey Gannt Museum to see want to be involved.

IP Logged

Wears my bike
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #4 - 01/31/20 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
The only solution...stop procreating, find ways to kill the local economy, and find ways to make the area less desirable so people stop moving here. 

We complain about housing prices being too high, not enough housing inventory available to meet the needs of a growing population, and then concerns of "will my house be more valuable when i sell it", blah blah blah.. Then when someone is proposing to build more houses to meet a demand they did not create; we complain its going to add to an already overtaxed system (not the developers fault), overcrowd schools (not the developers fault), ad traffic (not the developers fault). I remember when all of Ballanytne was peaceful farm land, so please when complaining about new construction don't forget as a resident of the area you are also a root cause to the issues you are complaining about. 

Side note, by right the developer can already build 120+ homes on the property. Doing so would mean fully mass grading the site and leave little open space. The TH plan would preserve 20 acres of open space, reduce construction cost, and provide a less expense residential unit compared to single family. 

Just playing devils advocate to those who forget we live in one of the fastest growing cities in the US.

I'm glad that this is an environment where you feel free to fail.

IP Logged

Wears my bike
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #5 - 01/31/20 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Bfr812 wrote on 01/31/20 at 5:45pm:
I believe the zoning vote will be in April.  I’m sure there will be lots of meetings between now and then but  we need to oppose this.  If DWH is able to get the rezoning and change it from R3 to U2 (URBAN) these trails will be history.  

There’re slave graves back past the Tech loop so I’m going to call Harvey Gannt Museum to see want to be involved.

All of the development is on private property. How are we losing trails? Stop being such a scare monger. Play your cards right and maybe there is a benefit to THTB. E.G. getting permission to build trails on private property to add to the trail system.

IP Logged

Bfr812

Reply #6 - 01/31/20 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
The developer is buying all 37 acres.  I can’t figure out how to upload the site map but it looks like it goes all the way behind the school trailers and the football field @ CH.

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Reply #7 - 01/31/20 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
This property will be developed either at the current zoning or if they get the zoning they are seeking.  While I can understand those that may oppose the zoning change to higher density, I don't see the connection to mountain biking. if trails were built out of bounds onto this individual land owners property it should be expected that they will be lost sooner or later.

IP Logged

Wears my bike
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #8 - 01/31/20 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Yes, they are buying all 37.16 acres of PRIVATE property. All trails are on public property and any trails located on private property are not official trails and were built illegally trespassing. They are proposing to develop only 17 acres, leaving 20 acres of open space.   

IP Logged

Wears my bike
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #9 - 01/31/20 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
SurlyDave wrote on 01/31/20 at 7:39pm:
This property will be developed either at the current zoning or if they get the zoning they are seeking.  While I can understand those that may oppose the zoning change to higher density, I don't see the connection to mountain biking. if trails were built out of bounds onto this individual land owners property it should be expected that they will be lost sooner or later.

This

IP Logged

Oskie
In The Loop

Reply #10 - 01/31/20 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Bfr812 wrote on 01/31/20 at 5:45pm:

If they have issues with condos hundreds of feet away from these alleged graves, how do you think they will feel about a bike trail that is a lot closer? You realize you may be jeopardizing the trails yourself by making such a complaint?

The site plans available on the Charmeck website show the condos are planed no where near the park or existing trails. There is no development within 100' of either side of the creek so most of the construction will take place adjacent to Blakeney Heath Rd and an existing neighborhood.

IP Logged

NC Kingsting
Small Cog

Veni Vidi Vici

Reply #11 - 02/01/20 at 2:02am
Print Post  
Is it “misguided” to expect adaquate infrastructure to support what is being built?  Funny but I thought that was what city planning and zoning was there for.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #12 - 02/01/20 at 2:47am
Print Post  
NC Kingsting wrote on 02/01/20 at 2:02am:
Is it “misguided” to expect adaquate infrastructure to support what is being built?  Funny but I thought that was what city planning and zoning was there for.

Yes.

Licensing, planning and zoning is run by industry insiders.

The same ones that also represent the developers and the builders. In some cases they are former builders and industry types. They own it all, the workers, the lawyers, the politicians, etc..

You want an example of this. Buy a piece of land and attempt to build your own house. If any workers show up, aren't incompetent and don't charge you double the going rate for a corresponding decrease in quality, don't be surprised to see one road block after another placed before you by those you assumed were on 'your side'.

They're not on your side. All their friends are 'in the business'. And the real money isn't in infrastructure.

The object not quality of life. It's profit, growth and human warehousing.

This isn't France and most people are too afraid of losing their livelihoods to really buck the system.

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #13 - 02/01/20 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Yep, just look up Labor Broker.   I know one indirectly.  Owns multiple six figure vehicles.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #14 - 02/05/20 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Before Ballantyne was even a dream it was sprawling farm land. Providence Rd West used to bring you to the back of Raintree. We used to race our cars back in the 80's down that road, Rea Rd and Elm Lane.  And HWY 51 used to dead end at Providence Rd. 

My, how times have changed...

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #15 - 02/06/20 at 1:09am
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 02/05/20 at 7:12pm:
Before Ballantyne was even a dream it was sprawling farm land. Providence Rd West used to bring you to the back of Raintree. We used to race our cars back in the 80's down that road, Rea Rd and Elm Lane.  And HWY 51 used to dead end at Providence Rd. 

My, how times have changed...

Yep..  Smiley

I used to ride horses (or they would ride me out into the pond or back to the barn))) on a farm at the corner of Providence and 51.. That was back in the mid to late 70's some time..

Nothin' in sight.

Everybody wishes they had bought some of that land then. 
Or maybe out near the lake/river some place..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print