Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Convert SRAM 12 speed to Shimano (Read 1570 times)
INTENSEcretAgent
Small Cog

Convert SRAM 12 speed to Shimano
04/26/20 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Searched on this and didnt find anything so thowing it up for thoughts.

Purchased a new bike build that comes with SRAM, and cant stand thier shifters, so need to convert to Shimano.

I have done this in the past on an 11 speed, by just replacing shifter and deraillure,  and keeping / using SRAM cassette and chain.  This worked very well.

Anyone do this same conversion on a 12 speed?  Maybe just replace the shifter this time or is the derrailure key too?

Thoughts, input?

IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Ich bin für Sie zu schnell

Re: Convert SRAM 12 speed to Shimano
Reply #1 - 04/26/20 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
You have to replace everything. And also you would need to change out the XD cassette driver to a shimano carrier on your wheel.

If you do not have the angle and throw adjustable shifter then yeah I get your issue. I changed out the shifter on my wife's bike to XX1 just for this reason, but if they are XO1 or XX1 then the thumb shifter is adjustable. 
If you have the lower tiered group you can always purchase just the XO1 or XX1 shifter.

It took me some time to get everything placed where it was comfortable. I went from XTR to XX1 and don't really plan on going back. 

Once the world returns to normal I'm planning on going wireless as that shifter feels pretty awesome.

ciao
Santana

Do you suffur from nympholespy as I?

IP Logged

853stolen
Little Ring

Work & Ride with THTB!

Reply #2 - 04/26/20 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
I did this to my bike at first.  Came with Sram GX 12sp, I put XTR shifter w/xt derailleur on and worked better than it did with Sram shifter/derailleur (I did eventually went full Shimano).  I read that there is around 1mm difference in total spacing for the whole cassette.  So if you tune to optimize in the middle of your cassette, you'll end up with 0.5mm at either end, which is less than the play in your derailleur.  Most people rarely touch the 1st or 12th gears anyways.
« Last Edit: 04/26/20 at 6:59pm by 853stolen »  

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving"
Albert Einstein
YIM  
IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #3 - 04/27/20 at 2:49am
Print Post  
853stolen wrote on 04/26/20 at 6:57pm:
Most people rarely touch the 1st or 12th gears anyways.

But yet there will be a need for a 13 speed group someday soon...…

IP Logged

mountainbiker90
Small Cog

Is it 5 yet??

Reply #4 - 04/27/20 at 3:00am
Print Post  
Rotor already makes a 13s group. It hasn't taken off, nor do I expect it to. I'm sure down the road it will be produced by the big two. 

Also for 12s Shimano, the chain plates are a little different than 11s Shimano or 12s SRAM.  You'll need a new chainring on the front, too.

Yeah, to the best of my knowledge:)

IP Logged

INTENSEcretAgent
Small Cog

Reply #5 - 05/02/20 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Hmm, varying info here and on other sources on the web... Couple you/boob tubers report being able to just change out shifter and that spacing of cassette and throw of derailure are compatible...

Drat, was hopping to not have to drop all that coin in a complete conversion on top of plunking down for the new rig, but i do like the range transition of the shimano cassete better anyway...

Anyone actually try this conversion? / test this out?
PS group is XO1 to XTR and its more or the trigger/index finger &^&^ing im used to.

IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Ich bin für Sie zu schnell

Reply #6 - 05/03/20 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
How long have you had the SRAM equipped bike?
I suggest riding it and perhaps you will just be like "hey this works" and it won't be an issue in a month or so. I spent 22 years on Shimano before using SRAM on a mountain bike.I also go back and forth on brands depending on which bike I'm riding. 
I do wish the SRAM trigger system was as comfortable as Shimano but like I said before it took a bit of effort to get everything feeling right. 

ciao
Santana

Do you suffur from nympholespy as I?

IP Logged

INTENSEcretAgent
Small Cog

Reply #7 - 05/06/20 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
santana wrote on 05/03/20 at 1:49pm:
I suggest riding it and perhaps you will just be like "hey this works" and it won't be an issue in a month or so.   
I do wish the SRAM trigger system was as comfortable as Shimano but like I said before it took a bit of effort to get everything feeling right.

lol, yeah, bingo "it works"...  I did that for about 6 months with SRAM 11sp.  Then when I finally got enough cash to convert that to Shimano, I was like "oh thank heavens"!

So im not looking forward to another 6 months of it just "working" ;]
Trying to figure something out.  (cheap)

Willing to haggle and trade a piece at a time to ride now, but get an ultimate plan together to eventually get to full M9100 with minimal throw away in the long term...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print