Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Mountain Creek Park? (Read 3790 times)
team_ssr
Big Ring

Do hard things

Re: Mountain Creek Park?
Reply #20 - 11/07/22 at 9:40am
Print Post  
I think I got them all in 65K.  Did a bunch of trail multiple times.  Could be done in less mileage for sure.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Deo Volente
IP Logged

dave mac

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #21 - 11/26/22 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Kurt Speed wrote on 07/20/22 at 3:24pm:
There are trails on the north and south side of the lake inlet separated by a large bridge. Loblolly Loop is the best of the south trails and can be accessed using trails 2 thru 7 which are basically fun ‘feeder trails’ that get you to the action.  If you park at the pump track, the fastest way to get to the bridge dividing the north & south trails is to take Terrells Folly (5) to Oh Deer (6) to Sherrills Pass (3) to Loblolly Loop (8).  Yes, you have to ride 4 mi. To get to the North side trails. Note: Jug Town Jump (11) is a short-cut if you are in a hurry to get to the bridge.

The North trails were built in a “Loop Over Loop” design. Picture your front wheel with a  hub connected to the outer wheel via spokes. 
From the big bridge, take Wampus Way (13) up the hill to the central hub (also called Wampus Way). Once on the central hub you can drop down Haymaker (14) and cut left to take Wampus Way back to the top. Note: there are twelve spokes/trails connecting the central hub to the outer wheel; 8 go down and 4 take you back up.

The outer wheel is called Mountain Creek Loop (12).
Trails dropping down from the Wampus Way upper hub to the outer Mt. Creek Loop are:
Haymaker (14)
Old Boozy (15) *omni-directional but a bit too dangerous to climb facing those flying down
Hot Hole (17)
Baked Possum (18)
Rabbit Race (19)
Miners Run (22)
Shiners Stash (23)
Puddle Jump (24)

Trails returning to the upper Wampus Way central hub are:
Wampus Way (13)
Ladderback (16)
Cable Ferry (21) *connects you to Iron Lung back to the top
Iron Lung (20)

Hint: if you take Miners Run (22) to Mt. Creek Loop just shoot back to Iron Lung to the top (but you didn’t hear me say that!)

Bottom Line:  The Mountain Creek Park trails are awesome…you’re gonna love’em!

THank you Kurt, so much appreciated. Had my firtst trip out there today and this really helped me !!

IP Logged

team_ssr
Big Ring

Do hard things

Reply #22 - 11/28/22 at 7:58am
Print Post  
Also, I have .gpx of the outer loops from the upper parking lot.  It's a good map to have loaded for a reference point.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Deo Volente
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print