Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Uphill Rider has the Right-A-Way- Trail Etiquette (Read 6105 times)
mikerod

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Uphill Rider has the Right-A-Way- Trail Etiquette
03/05/18 at 8:28am
Print Post  
Not sure if this has been posted. 

Was riding yesterday, moved to the right, was going uphill on double track, and almost was blown off a small uphill bridge by a coasting downhill rider.  I was always under the impression that the uphill rider had the right away. 

Almost was in a bad accident with the downhill rider was riding as if he owned the trail and was dead center of the downhill bridge. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Probably worth the discussion and something every rider should know.   Smiley
« Last Edit: 03/05/18 at 8:38am by mikerod »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
AIM  
IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Re: Uphill Rider has the Right-A-Way- Trail Etiquette
Reply #1 - 03/05/18 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Where were you riding that the trail had 2 way traffic?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

bikermedic
Little Ring

Swim, Bike, Run 140.6

Reply #2 - 03/05/18 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
While this is a guideline I can say that it is only that.  I often yield to the downhill rider when I am grinding uphill, the downhill riders are having a well-deserved blast going downhill while I am suffering going up and its a great excuse to take a little break.  With that said a little common sense goes a long way.

IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/05/18 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
One of those rules where technically you are right but I'm not going to stop someone from enjoying a good downhill section if I can help it.  I better knock on wood because I don't typically run into situations where one rider can't easily bypass the other.  Usually both riders make minor adjustments and carry on.  Might have to veer off the trail a little but it's so rare I don't think there is anything wrong with it.  Where did this happen?

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 03/05/18 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
when riding the Itusi trail, wrong way riders usually think they have the right of way on the downhill. In fact, since they are riding the wrong way. They believe they have the right of way on the whole trail Roll Eyes

GTalk  
IP Logged

mikerod

Reply #5 - 03/05/18 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
It was Anne Springs. Some parts of the trail are posted in both directions.  Not looking for a beef here just dialogue.

AIM  
IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/05/18 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Ain't nobody lookin for a beef up in here.

I haven't been to Anne Springs for a while but need to get back down there.  Nice trail.  Nobody should be blasting you off a bridge though, I will say that.  It's a little harder to share space and I think in that case both riders need to consider the other.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #7 - 03/05/18 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Yep, happens a lot at Springs.

Some riders still haven't figured out that some trails are bi-directional. Tunnel is particular bad spot because of comes straight off Paradise into a downgraded, twisty section.

It's worse in the summer when visibility is not so good.

Even when going uphill, if I'm at a good spot to yield to a downhill rider that's gettin' it, I do so. The hills at Springs are tame. Just not that much of a big deal. But on the other hand I've almost had collisions with riders going too fast and staring at the ground in front of them.

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #8 - 03/06/18 at 12:53am
Print Post  
honestly aside from the general don't ride the trails too fast... it is easier for an uphill rider to yield.  I'm not sure where the whole uphill rider has the right of way thing started.   
The wife is a big proponent of that ideal.

I feel that in most cases the trails are sufficient that each rider.. uphill or downhill should yield the center-left hand side of the trail and pass with caution... but stopping should be unnecessary in all but the most skinny of "single" track... with single being the operative word in that description.

off camber descents with a high and low side to the trail... the folks on the low side of the trail take the center while the high side rider yields the middle and takes an high right line or both parties stop and pass safely.   Most of this should be common sense really.

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #9 - 03/06/18 at 1:31am
Print Post  
It is much easier for the downhill rider to get rolling again if stopping to yield.

This thread will go on for ever as it has been covered before, a couple times if I remember.

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #10 - 03/06/18 at 2:02am
Print Post  
Who has the right of way on a mixed use trail, a biker or someone walking a dog?   

IP Logged

TMQ500

Reply #11 - 03/06/18 at 2:39am
Print Post  
Robert C. wrote on 03/06/18 at 2:02am:
Who has the right of way on a mixed use trail, a biker or someone walking a dog?  

What kind of dog?

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #12 - 03/06/18 at 3:16am
Print Post  
TMQ500 wrote on 03/06/18 at 2:39am:

What kind of dog?

What kinda walker?  I'm more prone to not pass USNWC yoga pants....

IP Logged

Captain Awesome
Small Cog

Work, Ride, Repeat

Reply #13 - 03/06/18 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
sCvHeaVens wrote on 03/06/18 at 3:16am:

I'm more prone to not pass USNWC yoga pants....

IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Reply #14 - 03/06/18 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
I've been yelled at before while going downhill at Paris Mountain as others are climbing but I think those people just wanted something to b***h at us about.  We slowed and they pulled off to the side but still had some comments as we politely passed.  

I think if everyone makes an effort and isn't a total bonehead about it, it works out just fine.  If you're calling out "I HAVE RIGHT OF WAY!" you're probably not trying to share the trail in the first place and then the blame game begins.  I'm in no way saying the OP is doing this...just my perception of how I've seen it play out personally.

IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Reply #15 - 03/06/18 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Agreed Uphill rider has right of way BUT,

If the trail is steep enough that hitting the brakes will do nothing but send you over the bars then I would suggest the DH rider has the right of way,safety first. 
(If your pushing up Black Mt. its easier to move to the side then it is for the DH rider to yield)

Also if your doing something stupid like riding up Ridgeline then I don't have much sympathy for your right of way.  Everyone knows its really a downhill trail. Your dumb decision should not ruin everyone's ride
$.02

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #16 - 03/07/18 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Doc00t wrote on 03/06/18 at 10:11pm:

If the trail is steep enough that hitting the brakes will do nothing but send you over the bars then I would suggest the DH rider has the right of way,safety first. 
(If your pushing up Black Mt. its easier to move to the side then it is for the DH rider to yield)

Also if your doing something stupid like riding up Ridgeline then I don't have much sympathy for your right of way.  Everyone knows its really a downhill trail. Your dumb decision should not ruin everyone's ride
$.02

Well then if you are pushing a bike up hill then that is a horse of a different color. You are no longer a rider, but a walker with a very expensive cane.

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #17 - 03/07/18 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Tom F wrote on 03/07/18 at 12:59am:

Well then if you are pushing a bike up hill then that is a horse of a different color. You are no longer a rider, but a walker with a very expensive cane.

Video of riding all of upper black uphill is now demanded  Smiley

IP Logged

MTBman1127
Small Cog

Work Ride Drink Beer

Reply #18 - 03/07/18 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Doc00t wrote on 03/06/18 at 10:11pm:

$.02

Quoted for truth. 

Don't ruin someone's party for your sufferfest, just get over....just my opinion.

Triangle Pest Control - 704.698.5357 - Low Trailblazer Rates

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #19 - 03/07/18 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Just use common sense...

Most places the trails are wide enough to safely pass without stopping. Both uphill and downhill ridrers slow down a bit and move over and everyone's happy.

The only exception is hikers and horses. Hikers usually move over and I always say a friendly "hello" or "thanks" or "have a great day". It sucks getting buzzed by a bike going 30mph downhill on a narrow trail so be kind and check the speed.

If you see horses just stop completely and ask the rider what they want you to do. Some horses dont care others will freak the hell out when they see a bike. It can be super dangerous for both parties when horses start get weird... 

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print